Do not enter standing water in your basement! If you get water in your basement call the Service Department (Monday through Friday 7 am to 3:30 pm) or the Police Department non-emergency line at 440-871-1234 (evenings and weekends).
The City of Bay Village is part of a four city cooperative which includes the cities of Rocky River, Fairview Park and Westlake and our sewer water is treated at the Rocky River Wastewater Treatment Plant.
The city is a separate system, which means each home has separate storm and sanitary lines. Residents are responsible for the storm and sanitary lateral lines that carry storm and waste water from their homes to the city lines.
The city sewer system is regularly maintained by 4 to 8 employees who are responsible for assessing overall conditions, CCTV filming, and flushing. They are also responsible for upkeep and operations of five lift stations, cleaning and repair of catch basins, and street sweeping.
Tips for keeping water running freely in and around your home:
- Have your system snaked annually by a city-registered plumber to remove tree roots and other obstructions before water backs up.
- Keep gutters clean to prevent overflows.
- Use liquid detergent rather than granulated to prevent blocks.
- Make sure the sewer grates and curbs in front of your home are clear of leaves and debris to allow water drainage.
- Flush disposable wipes, even those that claim to be "flushable." Flushed wipes are overwhelmingly the primary cause of city line blockages.
- Pour grease down your sink or garbage disposal! This can cause blockages in your home’s system and in the city sewers. Dispose of grease in a container in the trash.
- Use the dishwasher, washer, or garbage disposal during heavy rain events when the sewers may already be overwhelmed.