Community Services Information and Referral


AARP is a nonprofit, nonpartisan membership organization for people age 50 and over.

AARP is dedicated to enhancing quality of life for all as we age. We lead positive social change and deliver value to members through information, advocacy and service.

AARP also provides a wide range of unique benefits, special products, and services for our members.

AARP Web site provides online information, services and tools to help people 50+ get the most out of life. AARP's Web site offers information on a broad range of topics, including AARP's public policies, answers to financial planning questions, guidance on health and wellness, tips for coping with difficult life transitions, as well as opportunities to contact government officials, and participate in discussion groups and online courses.

 Advanced Directives

Advance Directives are documents that patients complete to direct their medical care when they are unable to communicate their own wishes due to a medical condition. In Ohio, do not resuscitate orders, living wills, organ donation and durable powers of attorney are advance directives that are authorized by state law.

The Ohio Hospice and Palliative Care Organization offers an advance directives packet used to create a living will or health care durable power of attorney, or to designate organ or tissue donation. Ohioans can fill out these forms without an attorney and should make several copies for their personal files to give to trusted family members, physicians, lawyers and others. Hospitals are also encouraged to ask staffers to complete advance directives.

To obtain Ohio's forms, go to the website and click on advance directives packet.

Golden Buckeye

More than two million Ohioans are eligible for the Golden Buckeye card, honored at 20,000 businesses statewide. Golden Buckeye cardholders have saved an estimated $2 billion since 1976. All Ohioans age 60 or older, as well as adults age 18-59 who have disabilities as defined by Social Security, are eligible for a free Golden Buckeye card.

How to Get a Card - Ohio residents who hold current Ohio Driver Licenses or State ID cards automatically receive a Golden Buckeye card in the month of their 60th birthday. Individuals who do not have a current license or State ID, as well as people under age 60 who are eligible due to disability, or who otherwise do not receive their card automatically, may apply for a card at most public libraries and senior centers. Due to ID, age and disability (when appropriate) verification requirements, you cannot apply for a Golden Buckeye Card online or by phone.

How to Get a Replacement Card - If your Golden Buckeye Card has been lost, stolen or damaged, call 1-866-301-6446 to request a replacement.

Disabled Parking Permits

The state of Ohio issues disability placards to people who have a handicap that either limits or impairs their ability to walk. This includes individuals who:

  • Cannot walk 200 feet without stopping to rest
  • Cannot walk without the use of, or assistance from, a brace, cane, crutch, another person, prosthetic device, wheelchair, or other devices
  • Are restricted by lung disease
  • Use portable oxygen
  • Have a cardiac condition to the extent that the person's functional limitations are classified in severity as Class III or Class IV as determined by the American Heart Association
  • Are severely limited in their ability to walk, due to an arthritic, neurological, or orthopedic condition
  • Are blind

To receive a windhshield placard, you must complete an Application for Disability Placards form, also available at Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles branches. One removable placard at a cost of $3.50 will be issued if the application is approved.

An additional placard may also be granted, but you will need to fill out a separate application and also state why the extra placard is needed. The second placard will also cost $3.50.

The application must be accompanied by a prescription from a physician or chiropractor that contains the following information:

  • Name of the applicant
  • How long the disability is expected to last (an ending date must be specified)
  • A specific mention that the individual is applying for a disability placard

The prescription must be signed and dated by the physician or chiropractor.

A veteran may substitute the prescription with a letter from a Veteran's Administration (VA) official on VA letterhead. The letter must contain the individual's name, disabling condition, expected length of disability, and percentage of service-connected disability.

Placards will expire on the date specified on the prescription note. However, the longest you will be able to keep the placard will be five years. After that, you will need to apply for a renewal using the same form, but you should wait to do this until you are within 90 days of the expiration date. Renewing your placard also costs $3.50.

If your placard has been lost, stolen, or damaged, complete the same form, noting the reason for replacement as well as the original placard number. The replacement cost is $3.50. A doctor's note is not required for replacement placards.

All completed applications (with fees) may be taken to any DMV Office Finder deputy registrar's branch}. They can also be mailed to:

  • Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles
  • ATTN: Registration Services
  • P.O. Box 16521
  • Columbus, OH 43216-6521

Make checks payable to the Treasurer, State of Ohio.

For more information, call (614) 652-7800 or (800) 589-8247

Fair Housing

Educational outreach is important for a successful Fair Housing Program. The County conducts and sponsors workshops, training seminars and conferences. The Department contracts with private non-profit agencies to provide the following services: Discrimination Complaint, Insurance Audits, Landlord/Tenant Counseling, Monitors Lending and Local Real Estate Practices, Diversity Opportunity Purchases, and Predatory Lending Prevention.

For individualized assistance we contract with Cleveland Tenants' Organization),  Housing Advocates, Inc.,  and Housing Research and Advocacy Center. For additional Fair Housing services, individuals can call United Way's First Call for Help at 211.


FirstEnergy's Ohio Utlities Public Assistance Programs

Medicare/Medicaide/Social Security

This is the official Medicare website.  You can learn about benefits and apply on line at this site.                  

Medicaid is a federal entitlement program that funds health care for people with limited income and resources, including people with disabilities. 

This is the official Social Security Administration website.  You can learn more about social security benefits at this site.