To report a complaint to the Building Department please email (click here to fill out the form). We will take the pertinent information and process the complaint. Complaints may also be phoned in.
Types of concerns/complaints investigated by the Building Department:
- Construction work beginning without permits
- Safety and hazardous conditions on private property (something that may cause injury)
- Exterior property maintenance issues (e.g., high grass over 7", deteriorated/ lack of maintenance of building exteriors, junk/debris in yard areas, dead or diseased trees, etc.)
- Vehicles parked/stored outside that are inoperable or without current license plates.
The Building Department is not responsible for:
- Public sidewalks, aprons, streets and right-of-ways, and street lights (Service Department).
- Street snow removal (Service Department).
- Basement flooding (Service Department)
- Refuse collection, brush or leaf pickup (Service Department)
- Fire hydrant, broken water mains (Service Department)
- I smell gas (Columbia Gas and Bay Village Fire Department)
- Downed wires or trees (Service Department and/or Police Department)